Sunday 8 August 2010

daddy's day

Today is father's day here in Brazil.

I am not going to be one of those people who posts a picture of their father. Primarily because I don't want to post anything that might identify who I am. Not that anyone cares. But I care. I would rather not be associated with what I write here. The cloak of anonymity brings me comfort. Even at the advanced age of 30 my self-esteem has remained at the lower levels. I don't really hate myself. It's just that in my family a healthy self-esteem is seen as an inappropriate personality trait. On the other hand, we have always been encouraged to cultivate all of our compulsions, which include narcissism, overeating and, self-sabotage. Therefore the idea of putting a picture of my father, or, God forbid, of myself here is absolutely absurd to me. Which might be strange to you since I just admitted to being narcissistic. But you see, that is how fucked up I am. I believe myself to be interesting enough to have a blog, but am also ashamed enough of myself to ever take responsibility for my thoughts. It's a very fine balance, which I am proud to say, I have evolved into an art form.

Anyway. Happy father's day, Father.

No comments: