Friday 30 October 2009

cool hits the spot

My friend B. was in town this week, so last night we went to have dinner at Spot.


This used to be B.'s favourite restaurant in São Paulo before he moved away. Now, he says, "it's gotten tiring".

Truth be said, Spot is where the cool crop of São Paulo come to be seen. During São Paulo Fashion Week, Spot is one of the places where the fashion crowds gather. Last night was the second time I went to Spot (the first time was also with B.), and on both visits I saw someone famous. Or semi-famous. On the first occasion I saw this girl I had seen on some magazine, but to this day have no idea who she was. And last night I saw Marília Gabriela, one of Brazil's top TV personalities.

(images via here)

As we sat at the bar waiting for our table, other people who arrived after us were quickly seated. This is a place where it pays to be someone, or to know the maître d'. Even though it took a little while for us to be seated, the staff was always cordial. The waiters, it must be said, are divine. According to B., Spot likes to hire aspiring actors/models so... you get the picture.

Although B. is over the Spot "in crowd", he says that the good food is what keeps him coming for more. And it is good food. On my first visit, I ate the penne pasta with prosciutto and melon, which was tasty and light. Last night I chose the sicilian lemon risotto with leeks, also very flavourful.

Spot is not a restaurant I frequently go to, but once in a while, it's fun to be too cool for school.

No comments: