Wednesday 28 October 2009

a late night snack

Tonight (better yet, last night) I went to see the Brazilian band Satanique Samba Trio. They hail from Brasília and my friend Munha is the bass player, as well as the mastermind behind this unique group. Take a look at their myspace. It'll give you a fright.

After the gig my friend and I were starving. It was already past 11 p.m. The first place that pops into our head? Galeria dos Pães, naturally.


(image via here)

Galeria dos Pães (roughly translates to "bread gallery") is one of São Paulo's growing number of 24 hr bakeries. In fact, it is also a deli and restaurant that serves snacks, breakfast, lunch and dinner around the clock.

Downstairs is the deli and the sandwich bar. Their grilled cheese is my favourite. Upstairs, at night, they serve their soup buffet. My friend had the spinach soup, whereas I chose cheese and white wine soup (also a favourite. I'm into cheese.).

(image via globo.com)

The buffet also serves a large variety of breads, cheeses, deli meats, fruit salad, fruit juices and dessert. The best thing is that, being a buffet, you can eat like there is no tomorrow. And no one will judge you.

Galeria dos Pães is a popular pit stop for those who are on their way home after a night out. The first time I went there, I had been dancing my ass off all night with my best friend E. It was 4 a.m., and I could eat a horse. So E. took me to Galeria dos Pães. Not only was the food great, but the atmosphere was lively with all kinds of people recounting their escapades. And there's nothing like devouring a grilled cheese sandwich after a night of dancing. I fell for Galeria dos Pães at first sight, and at first taste.

It had me at "hello, come in and help yourself to all the bread you can stuff in your mouth in one go."

No comments: