Tuesday 13 October 2009

when life gives you lemons...

... make lemon pie.

I have been back in Brazil (São Paulo, specifically) for about a year and a half. One of the things I always missed when I was away from Brazil was lemon pie.

But lemon pie-less I would never be. While living in London, for instance, I would revel in the delicate and tart French lemon pies.

Voilá.


Yet as tasty as they always were, these lemon delights always left a little hole in my heart, which longed for that one ingredient that is at the very core of the Brazilian lemon pie recipes of my childhood.

Condensed milk.

It brings me joy and a sense of peace that no other condiment is capable of.

The taste of lemon in this Brazilian version bursts through the sweetness of the condensed milk and the meringue.


It is a profound experience. It makes me want to cry.

No comments: