Thursday 12 November 2009

come down south

I've been thinking.

I lived in London for 10 years, and have visited other cities where I encountered fabulous and stylish stores. Lately, I've been missing them.

São Paulo is a cosmopolitan, forward-looking city. So I think there are three stores that should be brought over to SP immediately:

1. Ikea

There still isn't one in the South American continent. I feel this should change. Here in Brazil there is a Ikea-like homegoods store called Tok&Stok, which is quite good. But it doesn't offer the vastness and design of Ikea.

For instance, I want this rocking chair for my yellow bedroom...



(image via Ikea UK)

... with this fabric.


(image via Ikea UK)



I became acquainted with the store when I visited the Sister in Boston, where she went to university. It would work well here because it sells pretty, expensive things. And people from São Paulo ("paulistas") like pretty and expensive things.

Such as this lovely Grand Game wallpaper (which I want)...


(image via Anthropologie)

... this fine looking Keleidescope Throw...


(image via Anthropologie)

... and this Flock-Of-Swans dress.


(image via Anthropologie)


3. MUJI

I came to know Muji while living in London and am a loyal desciple. I love their simple, functional style in clothes, homegoods, stationary, and so on. Above all, I love their universal philosophy: "MUJI is not a brand. (...) MUJI creates products toward global consumption of the future."

If we had a MUJI store in São Paulo, I could stock up again on their gel-ink ball-point pens...



... their acrylic picture frames ...



... and get this steel pipe side table for my new bedroom.




I think I should be able to have these stores here in São Paulo to fulfill my current shopping needs.

Because deep, deep down, I am a good person.

No comments: