Wednesday 18 November 2009

stylish in hell

Without Havaianas, I would not have survived today.

It was a hot day here in São Paulo. About 32˚ celsius. Probably an average temperature in hell. My feet swell up in the heat, and all I want to wear are Havaianas. (Here in Brazil we just say "Havaianas", it's become a noun synonymous with flip flops.)

I remember back in the day when Havaianas were cheap-as-dirt rubber flip flops. They only came in a few colours and were never worn outside the house or the beach.

Then one day, they became fashionable. Pictures of supermodels wearing them with jeans and skirts started appearing everywhere. They were being sold in the United States and Europe. It amazed me how this staple of Brazilian everyday life became such an internationally recognised product.

My favourite Havaianas are from the Slim line with the metallic details. They are much more delicate to wear with something like jeans, dresses or a skirt. I even wear them to go out at night.

I have these three basic colours, which I can wear with anything.


(image via here)


And I always stop to admire their designs and colours, ...










... especially for kids.

(images via havaianas.com.br)

To top it all off, Havainas has its fabulous looking flagship store here in São Paulo, in the posh and fashionable Rua Oscar Freire.





(images via here)


Pretty and comfortable as hell. So you can keep your style in hell-like temperatures.

No comments: